In 2023, a simplified procedure for obtaining a student visa to China was introduced. Students apply for Visa X.
The X1 visa is for those with more than 180 days of study in the PRC. The X2 visa is for those with less than 180 days of study.
- An internal passport and its copy with all data pages;
- A passport that expires at least 6 months prior to graduation. The passport must have two blank pages for new marks;
- 2 recent photos measuring 3.3 by 4.8 cm on a white background, wearing dark clothing, with the face occupying at least 70% of the image area, without headgear, and transparent glasses if wearing them;
- Completed visa application form;
- Invitation from the university (Admission);
- Form JW201 or JW202 (issued by the university representative);
- If tuition is paid: a bank certificate of availability of funds not less than 2500 USD for the academic year (if full scholarship, not required);
- If born in the USSR: a certificate of no criminal record.
- Birth certificate;
- Parental permission to study in China;
- A copy of the parents' passports and ID cards.
Documents must be submitted in person at the PRC consulates located in Vladivostok, Irkutsk, Yekaterinburg, Khabarovsk, St. Petersburg and Moscow.
To get started, you must fill out the visa application form cova.mfa.gov.cn and make an appointment through avas.mfa.gov.cn.
Consular fee: from 5,000 to 10,000 rubles depending on the type of visa and processing time.
Processing time: 7-10 days.
More information on visa processing from the Chinese embassy.