To obtain a student visa, Russians need a study permit for courses longer than 6 months. For courses not longer than 6 months a tourist visa with a certificate from an educational institution is issued.
Before applying for a study permit, you must obtain a letter of acceptance from an authorized learning institution. List of Learning Institutions
Important note: To study in the province of Quebec, you must obtain a Certificate of Acceptance in Quebec (CAQ) from the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration (MIFI). Your school should tell you how to apply for a CAQ. You can apply for a CAQ directly to the Quebec Immigration Service (SIQ).
Detailed and up-to-date information can be found on the Government of Canada’s website.
- Completed application form;
- Consular fee payment receipt;
- 2 passport size photographs;
- Internal passport and its scan;
- Passport and its scan;
- Letter of invitation from educational institution;
- Proof of financial solvency (bank statement from sponsor or parents);
- Medical examination (where you can take the examination)
- Upon request: Health insurance with coverage of 30,000 Canadian dollars (available online from Canadian insurance companies);
- Required: Criminal record certificate;
- If required: an essay explaining why you are coming to Canada to study and why you will be returning to your home country.
Additional documents for minors (age of majority varies by province, please check)
- Birth certificate;
- A letter of permission from a parent or guardian;
- Completed declaration form;
- Copies of parents' or guardians' passports;
- Contact information (name, address and phone number) of the guardian, if any, who will be responsible for you in Canada.
Any document written in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a translation into one of these languages by a certified translator. The person making the translation must certify in writing their knowledge of the language and the accuracy of the translation.
Once you receive your approval letter, you can complete and submit your study permit application.
Online application is done through the Government of Canada website, where you will need to create a personal account.
Follow the current instructions from the Canadian government to properly complete your application.
After you have completed and collected the documents and paid the application fee, you will receive a Biometrics Collection Letter in your personal account. You must bring this letter with you to the visa application center where you will take your biometrics and later pick up your passport.
Don’t forget to sign in to your personal account for notifications and official emails.
Important reminder: don’t forget to print the most recent Correspondence Letter containing the following text:
Bring this letter of introduction with you to Canada. It has information that may be used by the Canada Border Services Agency to issue your study permit.
You should have it in print when you arrive in Canada.