Student visa to Austria

Students staying in the country for more than 180 days need a temporary residence permit. The permit is possible if the main purpose of the trip is Austria.

All documents are to be submitted with a notarized German translation.

Documents required to apply for a temporary residence permit for students
  1. A passport valid for at least one year and issued no more than 10 years ago.
  2. Copy of the passport page with personal data and copies of all previous Schengen visas (if any).
  3. Application form.
  4. 2 recent color photographs, 3,5 x 4.5 cm, taken not more than 6 months ago.
  5. Confirmation of admission/notification of enrolment issued by the university.
  6. Birth certificate (legalized or apostilled);
  7. Criminal record certificate issued not earlier than 3 months ago (legalization or apostille).
  8. Document confirming the availability of accommodation for the period of stay:
    — Certificate issued by the residence;
    — Rental contract or a copy of an extract from the state property register.
  9. Medical insurance for at least 1 year with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros per case of illness.
  10. Documentation of sufficient financial resources:
    — Applicants under 24 years of age: 569.11 euros / per month;
    — Applicants over the age of 24: 1,030.49 euros per month.
  11. Students who do not have their own income can provide a notarized letter of guarantee, as well as documents from the place of employment and salary calculation of guardians (parents). Commitments to pay expenses must be in writing in German or English.
  12. Copies of passport pages with the personal data of the parents, if the costs are borne by the parents.
  13. Minors traveling unaccompanied provide a notarized statement of consent from both parents and copies of their passports or IDs. If the parents are divorced, a court decision confirming the right of custody must be provided.
  14. Minor students must present a document proving that the student is being cared for and educated by an adult natural person residing in Austria.

Detailed and up-to-date information on the website of the Austrian Embassy in Russia